What is CAxMan:
CAxMan is a Research and Innovation action, that establishes cloud-based toolboxes, workflows and a One-Stop-Shop for computer-aided technologies supporting the design, simulation, and process planning for additive manufacturing. The project sets up novel workflows and services for discrete manufacturing by showcasing the computer-aided technologies as services and workflows in the Cloud, from design to production of physical parts.
CAxMan has the ambition to:
- reduce material usage and increase weight savings, by introducing internal cavities and voids
- optimize distribution and grading of material for multi-material additive manufacturing processes
- facilitate the manufacture of components which are currently impossible or very difficult to produce by subtractive processes
- enhance analysis-based process planning for additive manufacturing including thermal and stress aspects, and their interoperability with the design phase
- enable the compatibility of additive and subtractive processes in production in order to combine the flexibility of shape in additive manufacturing with the surface finish of subtractive processes.
- in CAxMan efforts are made towards standardization in AM
Use Case 1: Advanced gearbox – NUGEAR:
The NUGEAR couples bevel gears with the concept of nutation, allowing for speed reduction ratios from 10 to 3,000 and high shock tolerance/reliability. Shape optimization leads to weight reduction, beneficial to aerospace applications. Challenge: Cost-effective manufacturing.
Use Case 2: Injection mould:
Injection moulds, and other manufacturing tools, can also be created using AM. Here molten plastic is injected and should be cooled quickly (to lower costs) and uniformly (to improve quality). The freedom of design in AM allows for optimal placement of cooling channels to this effect. Challenge: High pressures require high strength and precision.