Computer Graphics in the Maritime Economy
Ships and offshore installations are special products with high demands on efficiency and quality throughout the entire product life cycle. The management and use of the complex and extremely large volumes of data as well as the environmental conditions to which these capital assets are exposed require tailor-made IT solutions. Computer graphics can effectively support all processes, from design to manufacturing and operation. In the future, real-time visualizations and image processing will serve to protect installations, to aid maintenance and repair work, or to guide ship captains.
3D maritim – an expert network for using computer graphics in the maritime industry
The 3D maritim network is a unique global association of specialist IT companies, research institutes, and maritime user companies that is driving the integration of 3D into industry. Complementary specialist knowledge covers all areas needed for the different application scenarios. Through the joint initiation and implementation of innovation projects, the competencies in the network are constantly being expanded and adapted to the requirements of the maritime industry.
The following focuses illustrate the use of the various 3D graphics technologies and underline the range of services the partners offer in 3D maritim: 3D reconstruction, semantic enrichment of 3D data, virtual and augmented reality, human-machine interface, or computer vision.
The product and associated benefits
The 3D maritim network offers a central starting point for anyone interested in using 3D computer graphics for shipbuilding, ship operation, or offshore and marine engineering. It is aimed both at users who want to exploit the potential of this key technology to improve their value creation processes, and at IT companies that want to adapt existing or future products to the needs of this market segment. Improving safety at sea and protecting the environment are typical challenges where 3D solutions can show their strengths.
Specific services include:
- Advice on using 3D graphics and technical implementation
- Contract research for creating highly innovative solutions
- Development of tailor-made hardware and software solutions according to customer requirements
- Training to successfully introduce 3D applications in the enterprise
- 3DInteractive GmbH
- AIDA Cruises - German Branch of Costa Crocierce S.p.A.
- ANOVA Multimedia Studios GmbH
- eSZett GmbH & Co. KG
- EvoLogics GmbH
- FORTecH Software GmbH
- Fraunhofer IGD und Fraunhofer AGP
- Germanischer Lloyd SE
- Hochschule Wismar
- Howaldtswerke-Deutsche Werft GmbH
- ibmv Maritime Innovationsgesellschaft mbH
- Ing.gesellschaft f. Maritime Sicherheitstechnik u. Management mbH
- InnoTeamS GmbH
- Institut für Sicherheitstechnik/Schiffssicherheit e.V.
- MarineSoft Entwicklungs- und Logistikgesellschaft mbH
- MEYER WERFT GmbH
- Siemens Industry Software GmbH & Co. KG
- Universität Duisburg-Essen
- Universität Rostock